11 Day Scenic Britain – CIE
2017 Scenic Britain 11 Days / 10 Nights
Day 1: London Arrival & Windsor Castle
Your vacation starts at your Windsor hotel at 2:30 pm when you meet your tour director. Visit Windsor Castle, residence of The Queen and the largest inhabited castle in the world. See the lavishly decorated State Apartments. In the evening meet your tour director and trip participants over a welcome drink to discuss your itinerary before dining in your hotel. After dinner take a brief walk around this compact and historic town with a local guide.
Day 2: Stonehenge & Salisbury
Drive to Salisbury Plain to marvel at the prehistoric circle of vast monoliths of Stonehenge and learn about the primitive builders who managed to create such an enduring monument. The Visitor Centre will give you background information on its creation. Stop in Salisbury, a charming old city that is dominated by the cathedral with the tallest spire in England. Arrive in Plymouth and check in to your hotel, close to the harbor where the Pilgrim Fathers sailed from in 1620.
Day 3: Lanhydrock House & Dartmoor
Today visit Lanhydrock House to explore this magnificent late-Victorian country house as you tour grand family rooms as well as the downstairs world. Drive through Dartmoor National Park, the largest and wildest area of open country in Southern England and renowned for its wonderful scenery. Have a look around one of the charming villages before returning to Plymouth in time for dinner.
Day 4: Cornwall & Land’s End
Drive to the coastal village of Marazion to view the majestic outline of St Michael’s Mount, an important pilgrimage destination throughout the ages and provides a wonderful photo opportunity. Drive to Land’s End, the most westerly point of Britain. Visit the Minack Theatre, an open-air arena that was first opened in the 1930’s. Enjoy lovely views and gardens with exotic and native plants. Return to Plymouth in time for dinner.
Day 5: Roman Baths & Cardiff Walk
Travel north to explore Bath, popular for its natural hot springs with the Romans 2,000 years ago. Tour the wonderfully-preserved Roman Baths and Pump Room, renowned for mineral-rich hot springs. Cross into Wales as you drive to Cardiff, the capital city, for a sightseeing tour followed by a brief walking tour around the bay. Tour Cardiff Castle before sitting down for a Welsh evening with dinner and some lively Welsh music and entertainment.
Day 6: Hay-on-Wye & Shrewsbury
Drive through the Brecon Beacons National Park to view some majestic Welsh scenery. Stop in Hay-on-Wye to browse through the town that specializes in second-hand books. Continue north through the Shropshire Hills to Shrewsbury, a picturesque town that is close to the English/Welsh border. Take a walking tour with the town crier to see black-and-white buildings, gardens and learn about the history of the area. Travel through Cheshire to your hotel, located near Holmes Chapel to the east of Chester.
Day 7: North Wales & Chester
Today drive through Llangollen and the Horseshoe Pass for wonderful vistas. Visit a farm to see trained dogs herding sheep and travel to Conwy, a medieval town dominated by a huge castle. Take a walking tour around the picturesque streets and see the smallest house in Britain. Drive to Chester where another walking tour will reveal medieval black-and-white buildings and Roman walls in the center of this beautiful city. Return to your hotel in time for dinner.
Day 8: Lake District & Scottish Evening
Travel through the glorious Lake District, associated with the children’s author, Beatrix Potter, and the poet, William Wordsworth. Stop in the charming village of Grasmere, where Wordsworth lived and is buried. Stop at the Old Blacksmith’s Shop in Gretna Green, a popular shopping venue for quality Scottish goods. Check in to your hotel in Edinburgh and attend a Scottish evening with special dishes and lively music.
Day 9: Edinburgh Tour & Castle
This morning explore Edinburgh on a sightseeing tour to see the main points of interest. See the wide streets and elegant mansions of the Georgian 200-year-old “New Town” with its planned streets, and Georgian houses. Walk along part of the Royal Mile where medieval houses are clustered closely together. Tour the imposing Edinburgh Castle where you can see historic buildings and enjoy splendid views of Edinburgh. This is where the priceless crown jewels of Scotland are housed. The balance of the day is free for independent exploring, shopping and dining. On Jul 31 to Aug 14 departures, experience the world-famous Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Day 10: Excursion to St Andrews
Travel north to St Andrews, famously known as the “Home of Golf” and location of Scotland’s oldest university where Prince William and Kate Middleton studied. Take a panoramic drive around the town and visit the picturesque ruins of St Andrews Castle and Cathedral. Spend some free time to have a browse around the town. Return to Edinburgh for the evening where you are free to dine on your own.
Day 11: Tour Ends in Edinburgh
Your tour ends after breakfast.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Compare tours in the same category to this tour
- Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Start Dates End Dates Twin
- Scottish & Welsh Dinned/Shows
- Windsor Castle
- Explore Devon & Cornwall
- Sheepdog Trials
- St Andrews – Home of Golf
- Three-Night Stays in Plymouth & Edinburgh
Superior First Class
- Macdonald Windsor HotelWindsor (1 night)
- Duke of Cornwall HotelPlymouth (3 nights)
- Clayton Hotel CardiffCardiff (1 night)
- Cranage Hall HotelHolmes Chapel, Near Chester (2 nights)
- Village Hotel EdinburghEdinburgh (3 nights)
- Sightseeing by luxury coach
- Professional tour director
- 10 nights in hotels listed
- Full breakfast daily (B) except on day 1
- 8 dinners (D) including- Welcome dinner in Windsor- Cardiff Castle Welsh Evening
– Scottish Evening in Edinburgh
– 5 table d’hote dinners
- Welcome get-together drink
- Tours of Cardiff and Edinburgh
- Walking tours of Windsor, Shrewsbury, Conwy, Chester and St Andrews
- Sheepdog trials in North Wales
- Reserved seats for Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo on July 31 to August 14 departures
- Visits and admissions to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, Lanhydrock House, Land’s End, Minack Theatre, Roman Baths and Pump Room, Cardiff Castle, Old Blacksmith’s Shop at Gretna Green, Edinburgh Castle, St Andrews Cathedral and St Andrews Castle
- Headsets for walking tours
- Deluxe carry-on backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tags & strap
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & porterage for one suitcase per person
- Free Wi-Fi on coaches and in hotel lobbies