12 Day Irish Classic – CIE
2017 Irish Classic 12 Days / 11 Nights
Day 1: Dublin Arrival & Dublin Castle
Your Irish trip starts at 2:00 pm when you meet your tour director at your Dublin hotel. Tour Dublin to see elegant Georgian townhouses, pass St. Stephen’s Green and Trinity College and cross the River Liffey to drive along O’Connell Street. Take a guided tour through Dublin Castle, which was the seat of power and government for many centuries. In the evening meet your tour director and fellow travelers over a welcome drink to discuss your trip.
Day 2: St. Patrick’s Grave & Ulster Folk Park
Drive north to visit Down Cathedral to see St. Patrick’s reputed burial site, marked by a huge boulder. Learn about the many stories of his work, life and times in the nearby St. Patrick Centre. On the outskirts of Belfast visit the Ulster Folk Park to see traditional town buildings of many types, including churches, a bank, police station and doctor’s office. Also see rural cottages showing gardens, crafts, crops and farm animals. Drive to your hotel in central Belfast and relax before dinner.
Day 3: Titanic Belfast & Walking Tour
This morning take a panoramic tour around central Belfast to see Victorian buildings, the imposing City Hall in Donegall Square and the shipyards where RMS Titanic was built in 1912. Visit Titanic Belfast to learn about this ill-fated famous liner through state-of-the-art displays. In the afternoon join a local guide for a walking tour around part of central Belfast and spend time on your own for shopping and dining.
Day 4: Giant’s Causeway & Derry Walk
Drive north along the Nine Glens of Antrim, for lovely views of mountains, valleys and coastline. This scenic region is where “Game of Thrones” is filmed. Stop at the Giant’s Causeway, enormous hexagonal columns formed by volcanic activity 60 million years ago. Continue to Derry and join a local guide for a short walking tour around the defensive walls that encircle the compact old city.
Day 5: Donegal Castle & Westport
Travel through the rugged countryside of Donegal, renowned for heathery hills, sheep and the many tweeds made from their wool. Stop in Donegal town for a tour of Donegal Castle, built by the O’Donnell chieftain in the 15th century and expanded in the 17th century. Drive around Donegal Bay and pause at W. B. Yeats’ Grave in Sligo, a region that he loved to write about. Drive to Westport and enjoy free time before dinner.
Day 6: Connemara Catamaran Cruise & “The Quiet Man” Walk
Travel through Connemara to Leenane and embark on a catamaran cruise around Killary Harbour, Ireland’s only fjord. See remains of houses and potato patches abandoned during the 1840’s Famine as well as stunning scenery. Enjoy a light lunch and take a walking tour around Cong to see movie locations of the 1952 production of “The Quiet Man.” Stop at a farm to watch skilled dogs herding mountain sheep before returning to Westport.
Day 7: Cliffs of Moher & Bunratty Banquet
Visit Ballintubber Abbey, used for worship continually for 700 years. Travel through the heart of Connemara to Galway for a guided walking tour around the city center. Drive through the Burren to view the majestic Cliffs of Moher, which rise 700 feet above the foaming Atlantic Ocean. At Bunratty check in to your hotel, right beside the Bunratty Folk Park and Durty Nelly’s Pub. Head to Bunratty Castle for a jolly medieval-style dinner where the lords and ladies serenade you.
Day 8: Literary Tea with Scones & Dingle Peninsula
Drive through the outskirts of Limerick and alongside the River Shannon into County Kerry. Sample tea anv d scones in a pub in Listowel, associated with the writer, J. B. Keane. Journey along the Dingle Peninsula for glorious scenic views of hills and coastline. Drive to Slea Head at the westernmost point and stop in the town of Dingle before heading to Killarney.
Day 9: Killarney’s Lakes & Jaunting Car Ride
Take a traditional horse-drawn jaunting car ride to Ross Castle for views of Lough Leane, Killarney’s largest lake. Drive to the delightful town of Kenmare for a look around and savor a casual lunch. Travel along part of the awesome Ring of Kerry route to view spectacular mountain scenery at Moll’s Gap and at Ladies’ View. Return to Killarney where the evening is free for independent dining and perhaps visit a pub with live music.
Day 10: Blarney Castle & Traditional Music
Travel to Blarney Castle to climb to the top and kiss the famous “Stone of Eloquence.” Also shop at the Blarney Woollen Mills. Drive to Dungarvan to the Marine Bar for a creamy Irish coffee and an informal traditional music session. Continue to Waterford and after dinner join a local guide for a stroll around the historic streets of this old port city.
Day 11: Waterford & Taylor’s Three Rock
Visit the House of Waterford Crystal to see how molten glass is blown into shapes before being hand-cut and polished by master glassblowers and carvers. View priceless trophies in the showrooms. In New Ross explore the Dunbrody Famine Ship which transported people to North America during the 1940’s Famine. In Dublin, this evening’s destination is Taylor’s Three Rock Pub for dinner with traditional Irish songs and intricate step-dancing.
Day 12: Tour Ends in Dublin
Your program ends after breakfast.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Start Dates End Dates Twin
- Bunratty Castle Medieval Banquet
- Taylor’s Three Rock Pub Dinner/Show in Dublin
- Giant’s Causeway
- Sheepdog Trials
- Jaunting Car Ride
- ”The Quiet Man” Walk
Superior First Class
- Radisson Blu St Helens HotelDublin (1 night)
- Hilton Belfast HotelBelfast (2 nights)
- City Hotel, DerryDerry (1 night)
- Hotel WestportWestport (2 nights)
- Bunratty Castle HotelBunratty (1 night)
- Killarney Plaza HotelKillarney (2 nights)
- Granville HotelWaterford (1 night)
- Royal Marine HotelDun Laoghaire, Dublin (1 night)
- Sightseeing by luxury coach
- Professional tour director
- 11 nights in hotels listed
- Full breakfast daily (B) except on day 1
- 7 dinners (D) including- Bunratty Castle Medieval Banquet- Taylor’s Three Rock Pub dinner and traditional show
– 5 table d’hote dinners
- 2 lunches (L)
- Welcome get-together drink
- Tours of Dublin and Belfast
- Walking tours of Belfast, Derry, Galway and Waterford with local guides
- Killary Fjord catamaran cruise
- “The Quiet Man” walking tour of Cong
- Tea and scones in Listowel
- Horse-drawn jaunting car ride in Killarney
- Sheepdog trials
- Irish coffee and music session at the Marine Bar in Dungarvan
- Visits and admissions to Dublin Castle, Down Cathedral, St. Patrick Centre, Ulster Folk Park, Titanic Belfast, Giant’s Causeway, Donegal Castle, W. B. Yeats’ Grave, Ballintubber Abbey, Cliffs of Moher, Blarney Castle, Blarney Woollen Mills, House of Waterford Crystal and Dunbrody Famine Ship
- Headsets for walking tours
- Deluxe carry-on backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tags & strap
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & porterage for one suitcase per person
- Free Wi-Fi on coaches and in hotel lobbies