15 Day Scottish & Irish Gold – CIE
2018 & 2019 Scottish & Irish Gold 15 Days / 14 Nights
Day 1: Glasgow City Tour Your Scottish trip starts at 2:30 pm when you meet your tour director at your Glasgow hotel and set out on an introductory tour of central Glasgow. See the main attractions of Glasgow on a panoramic tour and view extensive art collections in Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Chat with your tour director and fellow travelers over a welcome drink before dinner in your hotel.
Day 2: Loch Lomond & Inveraray Castle Embark on a short cruise of Loch Lomond to appreciate views of Highland peaks. Drive to Inveraray and browse around the town before touring Inveraray Castle, home of the Campbells and used as a location for the Downton Abbey series. Drive through Glen Coe, a spectacular valley renowned for a skirmish between the Campbell and Macdonald Clans in 1692 and on to the coast to your hotel in Ballachulish.
Day 3: Isle of Skye & Clan Donald Centre Travel on the scenic “Road to the Isles”, stopping for photos at the Glenfinnan Monument. Take a ferry to the Isle of Skye and visit the Clan Donald Centre at Armadale Castle. Drive through the island and return to the mainland by bridge, stopping for photos at the famous Eilean Donan Castle. Then drive along the beautiful shores of Loch Ness, famous for its monster. Continue to your hotel in Nairn, a manor house property set in spacious grounds near the North Sea.
Day 4: Culloden Battlefield & Sheepdogs A short distance from Nairn is the Culloden Battlefield Visitor Centre. Learn about the battle which took place on 16th April 1746 when British Government forces defeated the army of Prince Charles Edward Stuart. The Visitor Centre shows the background to this event and walk around the moorland to see monuments commemorating troops. Continue through majestic Highland scenery to Leault Farm where dogs herd sheep. Drive past the Grampian Mountains to your gracious manor-style hotel near Pitlochry.
Day 5: Blair Castle & Whisky Tasting A short drive will bring you to Blair Castle, home of the Dukes and Earls of Atholl. Dating back to 1269, the castle has been transformed through the ages, from a strong medieval fortress to a Victorian castle in the baronial style. You will learn about Mary, Queen of Scots, Bonnie Prince Charlie, Queen Victoria and the Atholl Highlanders. Visit Blair Athol Distillery to learn about whisky making and sample a “wee dram”. Spend the afternoon at leisure to explore the hotel gardens, museum and facilities or browse around the town of Pitlochry.
Day 6: Glamis Castle & St Andrews Golf Visit Glamis Castle, legendary setting of Macbeth and childhood home of the late Queen Mother. Drive across the modern Tay Bridge to St Andrews, the “Home of Golf.” See the famous Royal and Ancient Clubhouse and the Old Course and enjoy free time to look around specialty golf stores. If you prefer, browse through the medieval town with its ruined cathedral and castle. Drive south into Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital and enjoy a Scottish Evening with dinner and entertainment.
Day 7: Edinburgh Castle & City Tour This morning explore Edinburgh on a sightseeing tour. Compare and contrast the wide streets and elegant mansions of the Georgian 200-year-old “New Town” with the narrow lanes and medieval townhouses along the Royal Mile, the oldest part of the city. Visit the imposing Edinburgh Castle and admire splendid views. Spend the afternoon and evening at leisure. On July 31 to August 21 departures enjoy the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo at Edinburgh Castle.
Day 8: Titanic Belfast & Vibrant Dublin Depart Edinburgh early this morning and drive south through Ayrshire and along the coast. At Cairnryan take a ferry ride to Belfast and enjoy lunch on the trip. Close to the Belfast ferry terminal in the heart of the docks, visit Titanic Belfast to learn about this famous liner through state-of-the-art displays. Drive south to Dublin and check in to your centrally-located hotel. You are free to dine independently.
Day 9: Clonmacnoise Monastic Site & Galway City Tour Leave Dublin and visit Clonmacnoise Monastic site, founded in 545 AD by St. Ciaran on the banks of the River Shannon. See elaborate high crosses as well as many church ruins and round towers. Drive to Galway for a walking tour before checking in to your hotel, located near specialty stores, cafés and pubs. Enjoy free time before dining in your hotel.
Day 10: Connemara & Catamaran Cruise Drive through the heart of Connemara to Leenane to embark on a short cruise of Killary Harbour, a 9-mile fjord. Enjoy views of hills where traces of “lazy beds” of potato ridges from the 19th century can still be seen. Stop for a casual lunch and tour Kylemore Abbey, an impressive mansion that is set in a lovely location by a lake. Return to Galway where the evening is free.
Day 11: Cliffs of Moher & Jarvey’s Irish Night Travel south around Galway Bay to see the Cliffs of Moher, which rise almost 700 feet above the pounding Atlantic surf. Watch trained working dogs herd sheep and drive to Killarney, a little town that is world-famous due to its exquisite location beside lakes and mountains. Check in to your hotel in the center of the town. In the evening head to Jarvey’s Pub for a hearty dinner and some lively local music and step dancing.
Day 12: Muckross House & Ring of Kerry Tour Take a horse-drawn jaunting car ride to Muckross House. Tour the house to see period furnishings and learn of its prominent guests and owners. Travel around the Ring of Kerry where the road winds between mountains and Atlantic coastline. Visit the Skellig Experience to learn about the rocky offshore islands and stop at Moll’s Gap for great views of mountains and valleys. Enjoy free time to browse around Killarney before dinner.
Day 13: Blarney Castle & Waterford Walk Drive through the mountains of Kerry to Blarney Castle to kiss the famous “Stone of Eloquence.” Drive along the coast to the Marine Bar in Dungarvan for a creamy Irish coffee and an informal traditional music session. Continue to Waterford and check into your historic hotel, located on the waterfront of this ancient port city. After dinner, take a fun walking tour to discover Waterford’s long history.
Day 14: Waterford Crystal & Dublin Restaurant Tour the House of Waterford Crystal to watch glass blowing and cutting by master craftspeople and see a huge display of elegant tableware and magnificent trophies. In New Ross visit the Dunbrody Famine Ship, a replica of a vessel which took emigrants from Ireland during the 1840’s Famine. Continue to your hotel in Dublin and in the evening drive to O’Connell’s Restaurant for an elegant meal.
Day 15: Depart Dublin for Home Your tour ends after breakfast.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Departure Dates and Pricing
Departure Dates and Pricing
Start Dates End Dates TwinPrice SinglePrice Tour EnquiryDeparture Dates and Pricing 2017
Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Start Dates End Dates TwinPrice SinglePrice Tour Enquiry
- Scottish Evening in Edinburgh
- Jarvey’s Irish Night
- St Andrews
- Whisky Tasting
- Cliffs of Moher
- Clonmacnoise Monastic Site
- Farewell Dinner at O’Connell’s Restaurant
Superior First Class Hotels
- Glasgow Marriott HotelGlasgow (1 night)
- Isles of Glencoe HotelBallachulish (1 night)
- Newton HotelNairn (1 night)
- Atholl Palace HotelPitlochry (2 night)
- Macdonald Holyrood HotelEdinburgh (2 nights)
- Royal Marine HotelDun Laoghaire, Dublin (1 night)
- Radisson Blu Galway HotelGalway (2 nights)
- The Malton HotelKillarney (2 nights)
- Granville HotelWaterford (1 night)
- Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Burlington RoadDublin (1 night)
Please note: this tour is all inclusive. All “extras” are covered in base tour price.
- Sightseeing by luxury coach
- Professional tour director
- 14 nights in hotels listed
- Full breakfast daily (B) except on day 1
- 10 dinners (D) including- Scottish Evening in Edinburgh- Jarvey’s Irish Night- O’Connell’s Restaurant in Dublin- 7 table d’hote dinners
- 3 lunches (L)
- Welcome get-together drink
- Tours of Glasgow and Edinburgh
- Loch Lomond scenic cruise
- Ferries to the Isle of Skye and from Scotland to Ireland and across River Shannon
- Blair Athol Distillery whisky tasting and tour
- Reserved seats for Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo on July 31 to August 21 departures
- Killary Fjord catamaran cruise
- Sheepdog trials in Scotland and Ireland
- Horse-drawn jaunting car ride in Killarney
- Irish coffee and music session at the Marine Bar in Dungarvan
- Walking tours of Waterford and Galway
- Visits and admissions to Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, Inveraray Castle, Clan Donald Centre at Armadale Castle, Culloden Battlefield Visitor Centre, Blair Castle, Glamis Castle, St Andrews, Edinburgh Castle, Titanic Belfast, Clonmacnoise Monastic Site, Kylemore Abbey, Cliffs of Moher, Muckross House & Gardens, Skellig Experience, Blarney Castle, Blarney Woollen Mills, House of Waterford Crystal and waterford’s Medieval Museum
- Headsets for walking tours
- Deluxe carry-on backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tags & strap
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & porterage for one suitcase per person
- Free Wi-Fi on coaches and in hotel lobbies