8 Day Irish Pubs & Folklore – CIE
2017 Irish Pubs & Folklore 8 Days / 7 Nights
Day 1: Dublin Tour & Teeling Distillery Your Irish trip starts at 2:00 pm when you meet your guide at your Dublin hotel and set out on an introductory tour of central Dublin. See elegant Georgian squares with the famous brightly-painted doors and the peaceful St. Stephen’s Green. Cross the River Liffey to drive along the wide O’Connell Street and view the General Post Office where the 1916 Uprising started. Visit Teeling Distillery, Dublin’s newest distillery in the heart of the city, and sample the aged whiskey. Your tour director will host a welcome drink and advise where to dine independently.
Day 2: Farmhouse Visit & Medieval Kilkenny Walk Visit Glasnevin Museum, Ireland’s national necropolis, which offers a fascinating insight into Irish history. Depart Dublin to visit a working cattle, sheep and horse farm to chat with the owners and sample tea and home-baked scones. Arrive in Kilkenny and check in to your centrally-located hotel. Take a walking tour through Kilkenny’s Medieval Mile to view merchants’ houses and historic pubs. Visit Smithwick’s Brewery and enjoy a sample. Enjoy free time to browse around the compact city before dinner.
Day 3: Waterford Crystal & Kate Kearney’s Cottage Dinner Drive south to the ancient port of Waterford to visit the House of Waterford Crystal. See how skilled craftspeople transform molten glass into elegant tableware and magnificent trophies of all types. Travel along the south coast to visit Blarney Castle and climb to the ramparts to kiss the “Stone of Eloquence.” Do some shopping at the Blarney Woollen Mills or take a break in the pub hidden between the shops! Pass through County Cork and on to Killarney to your hotel in the center of town. In the evening drive to Kate Kearney’s Cottage for dinner and traditional Irish entertainment with songs and step-dancing.
Day 4: Dingle Peninsula & Sheepdogs Today discover the glorious Dingle Peninsula, made famous by two movies, “Ryan’s Daughter” and “Far & Away”, which showed a lot of the wonderful scenery. Drive to Slea Head at the westernmost tip for awesome views of the Atlantic Ocean and see early Christian monastic beehive huts. Meet a farmer whose skilled dogs herd sheep and stop in the town of Dingle. Visit the cozy South Pole Inn for an Irish coffee and learn about Tom Crean, an explorer who bravely journeyed to the South Pole with “Scott of the Antarctic.” In the evening explore some of the lively pubs where traditional Irish music is played.
Day 5: Cliffs of Moher, Connemara Scenery & Mayo Cross the wide River Shannon Estuary by ferry and drive along the coast. In Doolin take a boat trip to view the majestic Cliffs of Moher from the sea. Then sit down to a pub lunch in the village of Doolin, renowned for traditional Irish music sessions. Pass the shores of Galway Bay and stop in Galway city for a walking tour of the compact city center. Continue through Connemara with its hills, lakes and open country where mountain sheep roam freely. Stop in Leenane, where the movie, “The Field” was made. Continue to Westport, an attractive estate town built in 1780, with lots of interesting shops and traditional pubs, many with live music. Check in to your hotel where dinner is served.
(B, L, D)
Day 6: Westport House & Achill Island Excursion Visit Westport House, an 18th century mansion, set in superb parkland with magnificent views overlooking Clew Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. See stunning rooms with priceless furnishings, paintings, books, silver and Waterford Crystal. Drive around Clew Bay and cross by bridge to Achill Island. Follow the Atlantic Drive to capture wonderful views of steeply-sloped mountains and the shimmering Atlantic Ocean. See the Deserted Village, the remains of nearly 100 stone cottages abandoned around the time of the 1840’s Famine. Enjoy a casual lunch before returning to Westport where the evening is free.
Day 7: Kilbeggan Distillery & 12th Century Brazen Head Pub Drive to the center of Ireland and in Kilbeggan visit the Kilbeggan Distillery Experience, established in 1757, to see how whiskey is distilled and enjoy a sample. Continue your journey to Dublin and check in to your hotel. Head to the Brazen Head Pub, Dublin’s oldest, dating back to 1198 for an evening of “Food, Folk and Fairies” where story-telling will reveal Ireland’s myths and beliefs in times past.
Day 8: Tour Ends in Dublin Your program ends after breakfast.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Start Dates End Dates TwinPrice SinglePrice Tour Enquiry
- Discover Ireland’s Legends & Folklore
- 12th Century Brazen Head Pub Folk Dinner
- Sheepdog Trials
- Smithwick’s Brewery
- Kate Kearney’s Cottage Irish Night
- View Cliffs of Moher by Boat
Superior & First Class
- Ballsbridge HotelDublin or
- Croke Park HotelDublin (1 night)
- Kilkenny Ormonde HotelKilkenny (1 night)
- International HotelKillarney (2 nights)
- Wyatt HotelWestport (2 nights)
- Ashling HotelDublin (1 night)
- Sightseeing by luxury coach
- Professional driver/guide
- 7 nights in hotels listed
- Full breakfast daily (B) except on day 1
- 5 dinners (D) including- Kate Kearney’s Cottage Irish night- Food, Folk and Fairies dinner/show at the Brazen Head Pub- 3 table d’hote dinners
- 2 Lunches (L)
- Welcome get-together drink
- Tour of Dublin with a local guide
- Tours with tastings at Teeling Distillery and Smithwick’s Brewery
- Farmhouse tea and scones
- Walking tour of Kilkenny’s Medieval Mile and Galway
- Sheepdog trials on Dingle Peninsula
- Irish coffee at the South Pole Inn
- Ferry ride across the River Shannon
- Cliffs of Moher boat trip
- Day tour to Achill Island
- Tours and Irish coffee at Kilbeggan Distillery Experience
- Visits and admissions to Glasnevin Museum, House of Waterford Crystal, Blarney Castle, Blarney Woollen Mills and Westport House
- Headsets for walking tours
- Deluxe carry-on backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tags & strap
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & porterage for one suitcase per person
- Free Wi-Fi on coaches and in hotel lobbies