9 Day Great British Cities – CIE
2017 Great British Cities 9 Days / 8 Nights
Day 1: Edinburgh & Scottish Evening
Land in Edinburgh. Transfer to your hotel and spend the day relaxing or exploring a little on your own. At 6:00 pm meet your tour director and fellow travelers and head out to a Scottish evening with special dishes and lively music.
Day 2: Edinburgh Castle & City Tour
Explore central Edinburgh to see the 200-year-old “New Town” with planned streets and elegant Georgian houses. View the Royal Mile with its narrow medieval houses and tour Edinburgh Castle to see the Crown Jewels of Scotland and the Stone of Destiny. On Aug 7 to 21 departures, experience the world-famous Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Day 3: Excursion to St Andrews
Travel to St Andrews, famously known as the “Home of Golf” and location of Scotland’s oldest university. Take a walking tour around the town and visit the picturesque ruins of St Andrews Castle and Cathedral. Spend free time browsing around the town and return to Edinburgh.
Day 4: Scottish Borders & York
Drive south to Jedburgh for a look around and see the ruined Jedburgh Abbey. In York take a walking tour to appreciate narrow medieval streets, especially the Shambles. Visit York Minster, which is famous for its stained glass windows. In the evening dine in a centuries-old pub with plenty of atmosphere.
Day 5: Historic Train Ride & Castle Howard
Travel on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway by vintage locomotive. Stroll around the picturesque harbor, winding streets and quaint buildings of Whitby. Tour the elaborate chambers of Castle Howard, an imposing 18th century mansion where Evelyn Waugh’s celebrated novel, “Brideshead Revisited,” was filmed.
Day 6: Shakespeare’s Birthplace & London
Travel to Stratford-upon-Avon to visit Shakespeare’s Birthplace to see an exhibition about his life and work. 2016 marks the 400th anniversary of his death. Walk through the furnished house where he was born. Drive through the Cotswolds and continue south to your hotel in London.
Day 7: Tower of London & City Sightseeing
Take a panoramic London tour to see famous landmarks including Piccadilly Circus, Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. Visit the mighty Tower of London to see the many fortresses, Beefeaters and the Crown Jewels. The afternoon and evening are free.
Day 8: London Open-Top Bus Tour
Today you may schedule London sightseeing on an open-top bus tour around famous landmarks. There are a number of different bus routes as well as a walking tour and a River Thames cruise.
Day 9: Tour Ends in London
Your tour ends after breakfast.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Compare tours in the same category to this tour
- Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Departure Dates and Pricing 2017
Start Dates End Dates Twin
- Scottish Dinner/Show
- St Andrews
- Edinburgh Castle
- Pub Dinner in York
- Shakespeare’s Birthplace
- Three Nights in Edinburgh & London
Superior First Class
- Village Hotel EdinburghEdinburgh (3 nights)
- York MarriottYork (2 nights)
- Doubletree by Hilton – West EndLondon (3 nights)
- Sightseeing by luxury coach
- Professional tour director
- 8 nights in hotels listed
- Full breakfast daily (B) except on day 1
- 3 dinners (D) including
– Scottish Evening in Edinburgh
– Historic Pub in York
– 1 table d’hote dinner
- Tours of Edinburgh and London
- Walking tours of St Andrews, York and Whitby
- Reserved seats for Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo on August 7 to 21 departures
- North Yorkshire Moors Railway vintage train ride
- London open-top bus tour
- Visits and admissions to Edinburgh Castle, St Andrews Cathedral, St Andrews Castle, York Minster, Castle Howard, Shakespeare’s Birthplace and Tower of London
- Headsets for walking tours
- Deluxe carry-on backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tags & strap
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & porterage for one suitcase per person
- Free Wi-Fi on coaches and in hotel lobbies