10 Day Taste of Wales & Ireland Tour – CIE
Taste of Wales & Ireland 10 Days / 9 Nights
Day 1: Manchester Arrival & Chester
Your trip starts at 2:00 pm when you meet your tour director at your Chester hotel. Chester is about 30 miles from Manchester Airport so ensure that you have arranged a transfer. Set out on a walking tour to see medieval streets with lovely half-timbered houses and shops. Walk along part of the city walls and view Roman ruins. Finish at Chester Cathedral, which dates back to 660 AD. Discuss your itinerary with your tour director over a welcome drink and dinner.
Day 2: North Wales & Conwy
Cross into Wales and drive through the scenic Horseshoe Pass. Visit a farm to watch trained dogs herding sheep and stop for photos of 13th century St. Asaph’s Cathedral. Drive to Conwy, a compact medieval town which is dominated by its huge castle. Take a walk around Conwy’s narrow streets with ancient houses and see Britain’s smallest house on the docks. Drive to your hotel in Caernarfon and settle in before dinner.
Day 3: North Wales & Snowdonia Train Ride
Tour North Wales, starting with a train ride on a narrow-gauge steam train to admire the beautiful scenery of the Snowdonia National Park. Pause in the village of Betws-y-Coed and view Mount Snowdon, the highest peak in Wales. Tour the National Slate Museum, which relates the tough working conditions of this region’s slate industry, developed in Victorian times. Back in Caernarfon you may like to explore the old walled town.
Day 4: Harlech Castle & Tenby Walking Tour
Today experience the magnificent Welsh coastline as you travel south. Visit the mighty Harlech Castle, one of the “Iron Ring Castles” that were built along the coast by the English in the 13th century to control the unruly Welsh. Take a look around the attractive Georgian town of Aberaeron. Continue to the picturesque coastal town of Tenby, featuring a little harbor, a castle and defensive town walls. After dinner in your hotel, join a local guide for a walk through the town center and hear about the many humorous tales and traditions associated with Tenby.
Day 5: Pembroke Castle & Lovespoon Workshop
Today drive around scenic Pembrokeshire, a region of gentle rolling hills and indented coastline. Watch the ancient Welsh tradition of hand carving at the Lovespoon Workshop. Tour Pembroke Castle, an imposing 12th century fortress to explore the labyrinth of passageways and towers. Return to Tenby mid-afternoon and dine independently in one of the many restaurants near your hotel.
Day 6: St David’s Cathedral & Ferry to Ireland
Journey through colorful coastal villages on the way to St David’s, the smallest city in Britain. Visit the imposing 12th century St David’s Cathedral, named for the patron saint of Wales, to view the magnificent carvings and take a look through the nearby art galleries, craft shops and tea rooms. From Fishguard take a ferry ride to Rosslare and head to your hotel in Waterford in time for dinner.
Day 7: Waterford Crystal & Killarney
Visit the House of Waterford Crystal to learn about glass blowing and cutting and admire one-of-a-kind masterpieces. Then see the historic city on a gentle stroll with a local guide. Travel to Blarney Castle to kiss the famous “Stone of Eloquence” and shop at the nearby Blarney Woollen Mills. Then journey west through rugged countryside to Killarney and settle in to your hotel. See Killarney’s lakes in the traditional manner as you take a jaunting car ride through the Killarney National Park to Ross Castle, picturesquely set on Lough Leane.
Day 8: Ring of Kerry & Skellig Experience
Embark on the Ring of Kerry drive – a winding route with breathtaking sights of mountains and coastal views. Cross to Valentia Island by bridge to visit the Skellig Experience which describes the austere lives of early Christian monks on the nearby islands. Enjoy a casual lunch and stop in Sneem to admire brightly painted houses. Pause at Moll’s Gap for stunning views before returning to Killarney where you have an evening free for independent dining and activities.
Day 9: Cliffs of Moher & Bunratty Banquet
Take a ferry ride across the River Shannon Estuary to visit the Cliffs of Moher, majestic walls of rock, which extend five miles along the coast. Drive through the Burren and stop in Caherconnell to watch trained dogs herding sheep. Continue to your hotel and relax a little. In the evening head to Bunratty Castle for a memorable medieval-style feast while the lords and ladies serenade you with song and harp music, evocative of the Middle Ages.
Day 10: Depart Shannon
Your tour ends after breakfast.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- [table “” not found /]
- Snowdonia Train Ride
- Welsh Castles & Scenery
- Tenby Evening Walk
- St David’s Cathedral
- Waterford Crystal
- Killarney’s Jaunting Car
- Bunratty Castle Medieval Banquet
Superior First Class
- Best Western Queen HotelChester (1 night)
- Celtic Royal HotelCaernarfon (2 nights)
- Fourcroft HotelTenby (2 nights)
- Granville HotelWaterford (1 night)
- Killarney Towers HotelKillarney (2 nights)
- The Inn at DromolandNewmarket-on-Fergus (1 night)
- Sightseeing by luxury coach
- Professional tour director
- 9 nights in hotels listed
- Full breakfast daily (B) except on day 1
- 7 dinners (D) including- Welcome dinner in Chester
– Bunratty Castle Medieval Banquet
– 5 table d’hote dinners
- 1 lunch (L)
- Welcome get-together drink
- Walking tours of Chester, Conwy, Tenby and Waterford
- Sheepdog trials in North Wales
- Narrow-gauge train ride in Snowdonia
- Ferry transportation from Wales to Ireland and across the River Shannon
- Horse-drawn jaunting car ride in Killarney
- Visits and admissions to Chester Cathedral, National Slate Museum, Harlech Castle, Pembroke Castle, Lovespoon Workshop, St David’s Cathedral, House of Waterford Crystal, Bishop’s Palace, Blarney Castle, Skellig Experience, Cliffs of Moher and Bunratty Folk Park
- Headsets for walking tours
- Deluxe carry-on backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tags & strap
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & porterage for one suitcase per person
- Free Wi-Fi on coaches and in hotel lobbies