5 Day Gems of Britain – Insight Vacations
Insight Vacations Guided Tour starting in London and finishing in London
Succinct and feature packed, this spirited journey captures the essence of Britain in only a few days! It includes a fantastic cross section of Britain’s historical towns, traditional heritage, cultural figures and idyllic scenic landscapes.
Day By Day
Day 1 From London To Stratford And Medieval York
Drive to Stratford-upon-Avon to visit the birthplace of William Shakespeare. Head north to York and walk inside the city walls to see the crooked ‘Shambles’ and York Minster. Tonight, enjoy a Welcome Reception with drinks and dinner. (WR/D) Stay: Hilton York
Day 2 Over The Border To Edinburgh, Athens Of The North
Pass the ruined Jedburgh Abbey, en route to Edinburgh. Sightseeing with a local expert shows Edinburgh Castle and Holyroodhouse Palace at the end of the Royal Mile. Cross over to Princes Street past the Sir Walter Scott Monument to explore the elegant New Town. This evening, selected departures attend the Military Tattoo. (FB) Stay: G & V Royal Mile Hotel, Edinburgh
Day 3 To The Lake District And On To Liverpool
Drive via Gretna Green, where many an eloping English couple have married, then continue to the beautiful English Lake District. Visit the grave of William Wordsworth before reaching lively Liverpool. (FB) Stay: Atlantic Tower by Thistle, Liverpool
Day 4 Travel To Roman Chester And On To Cardiff
First stop is at the former Roman fortress town of Chester. Walk along part of the city walls, see the Eastgate Clock, Cathedral, unique black and white ‘Rows’ and remains of the Roman Amphitheatre. After some time to explore, cross into Southern Wales and head for the capital of Cardiff. (FB) Stay: Thistle Cardiff City Centre/Mercure Cardiff Holland House
Day 5 On To Georgian Bath, Stonehenge And London
Cross the Severn Bridge back into England. Visit the ancient Roman baths and see the 15th century Abbey in the city of Bath, before continuing towards Salisbury Plain for a visit to Stonehenge. Take the smooth motorway back to London. (FB)
- [table “” not found /]
Additional Included Highlights
- Stratford: Enjoy the architecture of this pretty town nestled beside the River Avon.
- York: Walk within the city walls to see the glorious Minster, largest medieval church in northern Europe and the topsy-turvy ‘shambles’, a picturesque street with warped over hanging timber-framed houses.
- Borders: Visit part of Hadrian’s Wall. See Jedburgh Abbey ruins
- Lake District: Learn about the life of the poet William Wordsworth and visit his grave in the picturesque stone built village of Grasmere
- Liverpool: See the famous Liver Building
- Chester: Walk by Chester’s ‘black and white’ shopping arcades known as the ‘Rows’ and see the Cathedral and remains of the Roman Amphitheatre.
- Cardiff: Enjoy an orientation tour.
- Bath: View Bath Abbey and the fine Georgian architecture
- Scenic drives: Cotswolds, English Lake District, Northumberland Moors, Welsh Marshes, Severn Bridge.
Highlight Hotels And Locations
- York: The 4-star Hilton Hotel is conveniently located within the city walls opposite the historic Clifford’s Tower. From here, it’s an easy stroll to most of the city’s major attractions.
- Liverpool: Situated near Albert Dock, the Atlantic Tower Hotel has amazing views over the city’s iconic landmarks.
- Welcome Reception (WD) and 4 full breakfasts (FB).
- Stratford: Discover the fascinating story of William Shakespeare’s early years. Inside the timber-framed building where the world’s most famous playwright was born and grew up, peruse the interesting artefacts and memorabilia relating to the great Bard’s life.
- Edinburgh: A hush descends and eyes turn to the castle, framed by flickering torch light. The skirl of the pipes rises and drums crack the night air. A tide of tunics and tartan flood from the drawbridge. In their hundreds, wave upon wave of massed bands, flag bearers and baton twirlers erupt in a virtuoso display of rhythmic precision. For a limited time in August, you are witness to the breathtaking spectacle of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
- Bath: Visit the ancient Roman Baths with its colonnaded pool filled by natural thermal springs.
- Stonehenge: Visit the mysterious circle of upright stones, which stands as strong today as it did 3500 years ago.
- An expert Insight Tour Director – at the pinnacles of their careers, will smooth your way throughout your journey. They are your ‘travelling concierges’, expert guides, consummate organisers and friends in a foreign land.
- Insight motorcoach – Enjoy the unique comfort of Insight’s luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom. It’s business class comfort.
- Personal radio headsets – gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights without missing any of your local expert’s fascinating insights and commentaries.
- Baggage handling everywhere – with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
- Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Complimentary WiFi – the majority of Insight hotels have free WiFi access in lobby or bedroom areas. You will also find that WiFi is generally available on most touring coaches.
- Insight Flourishes – from time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with local tidbits, each representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination.
- London Airport transfer service available