7 Day The Best of Southern England – Globus
Globus Coach Tour starting in London and finishing in London
See the places you’ve always read about on this exciting journey through southern England. Begin in London with guided sightseeing that showcases the city’s most famous landmarks: the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, and includes visits to St. Paul’s Cathedral and the Changing of the Guard, if held. Stop to admire the breathtaking gardens at Henry VIII’s Hampton Court Palace, then drive through Runnymede, site of the sealing of the Magna Carta, and explore the university city of Oxford. Spend the night in Stratford-upon-Avon, visit Shakespeare’s birthplace and take pictures of Anne Hathaway’s cottage. Continue west through the scenic Cotswolds, stopping at the Elizabethan village of Broadway and at 12th-century Tintern Abbey in southeastern Wales. See the amazing Roman excavations in Bath, contemplate mysterious Stonehenge, and discover splendid Salisbury Cathedral on your way to the seaside resort of Brighton. Visit the beautiful Georgian spa town of Tunbridge Wells and moated Leeds Castle before returning to London for a final overnight and the completion of your guided tour.
Day By Day
Day 1 Arrive In London, England.
Welcome to London! Your local Globus Hosts are available to help you make the most of your stay.
Day 2 London.
After a hearty English breakfast, morning sightseeing with a Local Guide includes all the famous landmarks: the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben beside the Thames River, Westminster Abbey, Whitehall’s mounted horseguards and the Prime Minister’s Downing Street, Piccadilly Circus, and Buckingham Palace. Highlights are a visit to ST. PAUL’S CATHEDRAL and the ceremonial pageantry of the Changing of the Guard, if held. Free time in the afternoon for independent activities or to join an optional excursion to Windsor Castle or the Tower of London with its fabulous Crown Jewels. Later, maybe an optional dinner followed by a cruise on the Thames River? (B)
Day 3 London – Hampton Court – Oxford – Stratford-upon-Avon.
Meet your Tour Director and travelling companions and depart at 8 am for a lovely day of sightseeing. First, a special visit to admire the ORNAMENTAL GARDENS of Henry VIII’s Hampton Court Palace. Your Tour Director will take you on a walk through the breathtaking grounds. Then, drive through Runnymede, site of the sealing of the Magna Carta on 15 June 1215, and take a stroll in Oxford to see the colleges where Britain’s elite receives its outstanding education. Arrive in Stratford-upon-Avon in good time to take your pictures of Anne Hathaway’s Cottage and visit SHAKESPEARE’S BIRTHPLACE. Tonight, enjoy a welcome dinner with wine at your hotel. (B/D)
Day 4 Stratford-upon-Avon – Broadway – Bath.
A particularly scenic day. Enjoy vistas of the Cotswold Hills as you travel to the Elizabethan village of Broadway. On to Wales for a drive through the beautiful Wye Valley to the romantic ruins of 12th-century Tintern Abbey. Stop here for TEA and SCONES at The Anchor pub. Cross the 988-metre (3,240-foot) Severn Road Bridge, and in elegant Georgian Bath, see the amazing excavations of the ROMAN BATHS, with time to explore further on your own. This evening, consider an optional excursion to the picture-book 13th-century village of Castle Combe. (B)
Day 5 Bath – Stonehenge – Salisbury – Portsmouth – Arundel.
Today, try to unravel the mystery of prehistoric STONEHENGE; first, explore the stunning new visitor centre with its imaginative exhibitions, then take the shuttle to the stone circle and admire the magnificence of the monument up close. In Salisbury, visit the splendid CATHEDRAL/ the ultimate in Early English Gothic architecture and home to the best preserved original Magna Carta, and enjoy a light LUNCH in the Refectory restaurant. In Portsmouth, visit HMS Victory, Lord Nelson’s flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar, before reaching your hotel. (B/L/D)
Day 6 Arundel – Brighton – Hever Castle – London.
Start the day with a visit to the Regency seaside resort of Brighton before visiting spectacular HEVER CASTLE, childhood home of Anne Boleyn; a romantic double-moated, 13th-century castle set in four acres of magnificent formal gardens for all seasons, which include Italian, rose, and Tudor gardens as well as a yew maze. Return to London around 3:30 pm. How about celebrating the end of your holiday by taking in one of the great West End shows? (B)
Day 7 London.
Your holiday ends with breakfast this morning. (B)
- LONDON: Guided sightseeing, visit St. Paul’s Cathedral and see the Changing of the Guard, if held.
- HAMPTON COURT: A special walking tour through the palace’s ornamental gardens.
- OXFORD: Visit the university city.
- STRATFORD-UPON-AVON: Take pictures of Anne Hathaway’s Cottage, visit Shakespeare’s birthplace; welcome dinner.
- BROADWAY: Visit the picturesque Cotswolds village.
- TINTERN ABBEY: Take pictures of the abbey ruins; enjoy tea and scones at The Anchor pub.
- BATH: Visit the Roman relics.
- STONEHENGE: Visit the prehistoric monument.
- SALISBURY: Visit the cathedral city; enjoy lunch in the Refectory restaurant.
- PORTSMOUTH: Visit HMS Victory.
- BRIGHTON: Visit the popular seaside resort.
- HEVER CASTLE: Visit the double-moated, 13th-century castle.
- TRANSPORTATION: Motorcoach.
- FREE WIFI: Available on your motorcoach and in most hotel lobbies.
- Inside visits and special features are shown in UPPERCASE in the tour description, including admission charges where applicable.
- Enjoy lunch in the Refectory restaurant
- Enjoy tea & scones at The Anchor Pub
- Full English breakfast (B); 1 lunch (L); 2 three-course dinners with wine (D) and choice of menus, including a welcome dinner in Stratford.