8 Day English & Scottish Discovery – CIE
English & Scottish Discovery 8 Days / 7 Nights
Day 1: London Arrival & Tour
Your vacation starts at your London hotel at 2:00 pm when you meet your tour director. Head out on a panoramic tour of central London to see famous landmarks including Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. Stop at St. Paul’s Cathedral, with its world-famous dome, to tour the awe-inspiring interior. In the evening meet your tour director to discuss your trip over a welcome drink and dine in your hotel.
Day 2: Tower of London & City Sights
Today you may schedule your London sightseeing when you take an open-top bus tour around the many famous landmarks. There are a number of different bus routes as well as a walking tour and a cruise on the River Thames. Visit either the Tower of London to view the magnificent Crown Jewels or Kensington Palace, home of Princess Diana. You are free to choose a restaurant to dine independently.
Day 3: Stratford-upon-Avon & Beatles’ Liverpool
Drive through the Cotswolds, a delightful hilly region with mellow-hued stone houses. In Stratford-upon-Avon visit Shakespeare’s Birthplace, furnished as it would have been in his time. 2016 is the 400th anniversary of his death. Continue to Liverpool and a local guide will show you around places associated with various aspects of the lives of the “Fab Four.” Check in to your hotel.
Day 4: Lake District & Scottish Evening
Travel through the glorious Lake District, associated with the children’s author, Beatrix Potter, and the poet, William Wordsworth. In the charming village of Grasmere visit Dove Cottage, where Wordsworth lived and wrote. Near the Scottish border stop at the Old Blacksmith’s Shop in Gretna Green, a popular shopping venue for quality Scottish goods. Check in to your hotel in Edinburgh and head out to a Scottish evening with special dishes and lively music.
Day 5: Edinburgh Castle & City Tour
Explore central Edinburgh this morning, starting in the 200-year-old “New Town” with its planned streets and elegant Georgian houses where many famous writers and inventors lived. See the Royal Mile where medieval houses are clustered and tour Edinburgh Castle to see the Crown Jewels of Scotland and the Stone of Destiny. The afternoon is free for independent activities. On Aug 05 to 19 departures, experience the world-famous Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Day 6: St Andrews & Highland Scenery
Travel north to St Andrews, famous for golfing and Scotland’s oldest university. Take a walking tour around the town with your tour director who will tell you about the famous people and happenings here. Visit the picturesque ruins of St Andrews Cathedral. Take a break in Pitlochry and continue to Inverness, a major town in the Highlands. Check in to your hotel beside the River Ness in the town center.
Day 7: Loch Ness & Loch Lomond Cruise
Travel south through more wonderful Highland scenery today, passing the shoreline of Loch Ness with views of this deep lake. Drive past Ben Nevis, Britain’s highest peak, and through the towering mountains of Glen Coe, which is famous for the Massacre of Glen Coe in 1692. Take a scenic cruise on Loch Lomond, Britain’s largest lake. Enjoy a brief drive around Glasgow before checking in to your hotel located on the outskirts.
Day 8: Depart Glasgow for Home
Your tour ends after breakfast.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Scottish Evening in Edinburgh
- St. Pauls Cathedral, London
- Shakespeare’s Birthplace
- Beatles Story in Liverpool
- St Andrews Walking Tour
- Edinburgh Castle
Superior First Class Hotels
- Park Plaza Hotel Riverbank London
London (2 nights)
- Hilton Hotel Liverpool
Liverpool (1 night)
- Macdonald Houstoun House Hotel, Uphall
Uphall, near Edinburgh (2 nights)
- Columba Hotel
Inverness (1 night)
- The Westerwood Hotel
Near Glasgow (1 night)
- Sightseeing by luxury coach
- Professional tour director
- 7 nights in hotels listed
- Full breakfast daily (B) except on day 1
- 5 dinners (D) including
– Welcome dinner in London
– Scottish Evening in Edinburgh
– 3 table d’hote dinners
- Welcome get-together drink
- Tours of London, Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Beatles Tour of Liverpool
- Walking tour of St Andrews
- Loch Lomond scenic cruise
- Reserved seats for Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo on August 05 to August 19 departures
- London open-top bus tour with Tower of London or Kensington Palace visit
- Visits and admissions to St. Paul’s Cathedral, Shakespeare’s Birthplace, Dove Cottage, Old Blacksmith’s Shop at Gretna Green, Edinburgh Castle and St Andrews Cathedral
- Headsets for walking tours
- Deluxe carry-on backpack, ticket wallet, luggage tags & strap
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & porterage for one suitcase per person
- Free Wi-Fi on coaches and in hotel lobbies