7 Day Corners of Southern Ireland
7 Day Small Group Tour from Dublin to Dublin with Back-Roads
One-of-a-kind views of spellbinding scenery. The stories of maritime towns and picture-book villages. Ancient castles steeped in history and country inns full of character. The further we go into its enchanting landscapes, the deeper you’ll fall under Southern Ireland’s spell.
Day 1: Dublin – Kildare – Ennis
After meeting in Dublin, we’ll hit the road to our first stop: County Kildare, where we’ve an appointment with the Irish National Stud. After being treated to a private tour, an exclusive jockey’s-eye-view of the horses and the chance to explore the fascinating museum, we’ll move on to Portumna Castle: a semi-fortified house in County Galway. This evening will see us checking into our hotel in Ennis, where we’ll tuck in to our first hearty dinner together.
Day 2: Ennis – Cliffs Of Moher – Killarney
First today: a walking tour through Ennis’ character-filled avenues, where we’ll hear enthralling myths, mysteries and tales of rebellions and riots. Then: prepare to be amazed at the Cliffs of Moher. The keen-eyed among us – or perhaps just those who packed binoculars – may even spot a resident puffin or two. After an invigorating afternoon, we’ll travel onwards to Killarney: the gateway to the panoramic Ring of Kerry.
Day 3: Killarney – Ring Of Kerry – Killarney
After this morning’s breakfast, we’ll set a course for our first stop of the day: the Skellig Experience, where we’ll gain a fascinating insight into the lives of the early Christian monks that once broke bread at the Skellig Michael monastery. This afternoon, we’ll discover the spectacular scenery of Killarney National Park from the carriage of a traditional jaunting car – before rounding off the day’s itinerary with a tour of a local brewery (with included tasting, of course).
Day 4: Killarney – Kenmare – Kinsale
After finding out about the myriad nutritional benefits of seaweed on a morning walk at Derrynane Harbour, we’ll move on to Molly Gallivan’s Cottage – which, at first glance, appears to be an unassuming rustic farmhouse. But there’s more to it than first meets the eye! More than 200 years ago, Mrs Gallivan supported her seven children by brewing illicit whiskey – and her home was, in fact, a clandestine pub. We’ll learn stories of the enterprising Mrs Gallivan’s antics before travelling onwards to the medieval town of Kinsale, where coastal views, cosy pubs and brightly coloured houses await us.
Day 5: Kinsale
The cobbled streets that curve around Kinsale’s pretty bay are just begging to be explored, so we’ll spend the morning on a walking tour. This afternoon, you’ll be free to explore the town your own way. Interestingly, Kinsale was the departure point for the last 123 passengers who boarded the Titanic – and you’ll notice poignant markers of this as you make your way around.
Day 6: Kinsale – Waterford
This morning we’ll pass by Tipperary – where we’ll find out more about traditional Irish craftsmanship at a local crystal factory – before we move on to Waterford. Dating back to Viking times, Waterford is Ireland’s oldest city – with over 1,000 years’ worth of history to explore. Whatever you choose to do with your time here, make sure you’re back in time for tonight’s farewell meal!
Day 7: Waterford – Avoca – Dublin
On the way back to Dublin we’ll stop off at the small town of Avoca, where we’ll pay homage to an Irish institution – Ballykissangel. You can even pull up a stool in Fitzgerald’s Pub! Then: you’ll have the chance to pick up a final souvenir at the Woollen Mills before we say goodbye.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Visit Molly Gallivan’s Cottage and learn the story of a widow who supported her children by brewing illicit whiskey
- Embark on a seaweed foraging walk on the Skellig Coast – and enjoy local seaweed delicacies
- Tour Killarney in a traditional jaunting car and sample the beers at a local brewery
- 6 nights in boutique accommodation
- Experienced Back-Roads Tour Leader and Driver
- Premium mini-coach transportation
- Daily full Irish breakfasts (B), 3 dinners (D)
- Traditional jaunting car ride in Killarney National Park
- Tour and tasting session at Killarney Brewing Company
- Seaweed walk at Derrynane Harbour
- Entrance included to all attractions in the itinerary, including: the Irish National Stud, Portumna Castle, the Cliffs of Moher, the Skellig
- Experience, Molly Gallivan’s Cottage, the House of Waterford Crystal
- Itineraries and inclusions are subject to change.
- Prices are for land/cruise and internal flights as specified only. Flights not specified are not included.