8 Day Irish Pubs & Folklore – CIE
Irish Pubs & Folklore 8 Days / 7 Nights
Day 1: Dublin Tour & Welcome Drink
Tour starts 2:00 PM at your Dublin hotel. Set out on an introductory tour of central Dublin, a friendly city famed for its wit and sense of fun. Enjoy a welcome drink and dinner with your group at The Church Café Bar and Restaurant; this converted building is where brewer Arthur Guinness was married, playwright Sean O’Casey was baptized, and where Handel practiced the organ before the first-ever public performance of his “Messiah” in 1742.
Day 2: Kilkenny & Smithwick’s Experience
Head to the small, historic city of Kilkenny for a walking tour along its Medieval Mile to experience its rich heritage, narrow streetscapes, and well-preserved merchants’ houses. Stop at one of its classic pubs. Smell the hops and enjoy a sample on a tour of Smithwick’s Experience, telling the story of the popular brewery in the heart of the city since 1710. Spend some free time browsing in charming Kilkenny before dinner.
Day 3: Blarney Castle & Killarney
Travel on to visit Blarney Castle to kiss the famous stone, which legend promises will bestow the “Gift of the Gab” or explore the beautiful gardens. Pass through County Cork to the lively town of Killarney – a draw for visitors to Ireland since the 18th century – where you will have free time to explore some of its friendly pubs, many with live music.
Day 4: Dingle Peninsula & Celtic Whiskey Bar
Head to the glorious Dingle Peninsula, made famous by two movies, “Ryan’s Daughter” and “Far & Away,” which showcased the wonderful scenery. Visit the South Pole Inn for an Irish coffee and learn about Tom Crean, an early explorer who bravely journeyed to the South Pole and opened the pub in 1927 after his return to Ireland. Visit a farm for an immersion into traditional farming life and watch skilled sheepdogs demonstrate their talents at herding. Enjoy some free time and lunch on your own in the town of Dingle. In the evening, head to the Celtic Whiskey Bar in Killarney for a tasting, chocolate pairing, and dinner.
Day 5: Cliffs of Moher & Galway
Embark on a ferry ride across the wide River Shannon Estuary. Take in the spectacular beauty of the Cliffs of Moher, soaring 700 feet above the Atlantic surf. Walk along the top of the cliffs for views across Galway Bay to Connemara and the Aran Islands. In the evening, have an early dinner at your hotel, then head out for a CIE Tours Exclusive: Private early access to a special evening of storytelling and traditional music by the turf fire at O’Connors Famous Pub in Salthill.
Day 6: Sean’s Bar & Lough Lee Cruise
Spend a leisurely morning and lunchtime exploring vibrant, artistic Galway as you please. Head to Athlone and enjoy an Irish coffee as you cruise along Lough Ree on a replica Viking longship. Then head to Sean’s Bar in Athlone for a CIE Tours Exclusive. Sean’s Bar is not only the oldest in Ireland; dating back to 900 AD, it’s the oldest in Europe, according to the Guinness Book of Records. The sloped floors (often covered with sawdust), candlelight, and turf fire pay nostalgic tribute to this pub’s rich history.
Day 7: Guinness Storehouse & Irish Whiskey Museum
Enjoy the scenery of central Ireland as you head to Dublin on the east coast. Visit the Guinness Storehouse in the heart of the city, one of Ireland’s most popular attractions, and enjoy a sample of Ireland’s iconic brew as you enjoy the panoramic view from the viewing tower. In the evening, head to the Irish Whiskey Museum, where you will take a short private tour and savor a tasting. In a CIE Tours Exclusive, you’ll enjoy a special after-hours experience with an information dinner and music from a traditional band – and they’ll provide instruments so you can learn to play along.
Day 8: Tour ends in Dublin
Your program ends after breakfast.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Blarney Castle
- Cliffs of Moher
- Guinness Storehouse Tour
- Smithwick’s Experience
- Sean’s Bar – Oldest Pub in Europe
- South Pole Inn with Irish coffee
- Dingle Peninsula
- Sheepdog Demonstration
Superior & First Class
- Hilton Garden Inn Custom House
- Croke Park Hotel
Dublin (1 night)
- Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel
Kilkenny (1 night)
- International Hotel
Killarney (2 nights)
- Galway Bay Hotel
Galway (1 night)
- Sheraton Athlone Hotel
Athlone (1 night)
- Ashling Hotel
Dublin (1 night)
- Full daily breakfast (except Day 1)
- All on-tour transportation including shuttles and ferries
- Welcome get-together drink with your group
- Free Wi-Fi on coaches so you can stay connected along the way
- Documents wallet and backpack to keep you organized
- All local taxes, hotel service charges & handling of one suitcase per person
- Authentic Local Experiences
- In a CIE Tours Exclusive, enjoy a private early opening to enjoy a drink by a cozy turf fire as you listen to live traditional music at O’Connors in Salthill, Galway. It was recently made famous as the setting for Ed Sheeran’s “Galway Girl” video.
- Raise a glass at Sean’s Bar, in a special CIE Tours Exclusive; featured in the Guiness Book of Records as Europe’s Oldest Pub, it’s been serving thirsty customers since the 900s.
- Dining Experiences
- 7 hot breakfasts (B) and 6 dinners (D) including The Church Cafe Bar and Restaurant, Celtic Whiskey Bar (with a Tasting and Chocolate Pairing) and a farewell evening at the Irish Whiskey Museum, including live music, a private bar, whiskey tour and hor d’oevres.