9 Day Enchanting Eastern England
9 Day Small Group Tour from London to London with Back-Roads
Embark on a journey steeped in history on this tour of some of the most intriguing aviation and war museums in Britain. With an expert Tour Leader at the helm, we’ll walk in the footsteps of fallen heroes – and feel the thrill of flying over Cambridge in a fully restored Dragon Rapide aircraft.
Day 1: Edinburgh – Lindisfarne – Alnwick
After meeting in the iconic city of Edinburgh we’ll cross over into England to begin our tour. Our first stop will be the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, where we’ll discover the dramatic ruins of the famous priory. To end the day, we’ll carry on to Alnwick Castle – the majestic home of the Duke of Northumberland – where we’ll see some of the rooms that took a starring role in Downton Abbey. On the menu tonight: a delicious welcome dinner.
Day 2: Alnwick – Durham – Whitby – North York Moors
This morning we’ll move on to Durham, where we’ll step inside the the Cathedral: a magnificent architectural monument now listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Our road will then carry us to the traditional seaside resort of Whitby – where the fascinating Captain Cook Museum awaits us. Tonight, we’ll rest our heads in the charming North York Moors district.
Day 3: North York Moors – Ripley – Peak District
Today there’s a tipple or two in store for us at the quaint Ampleforth Cider Mill – where we’ll be lucky enough to enjoy a tour of the historic orchard (which boasts over 40 varieties of heritage apple trees) and learn how the award-winning cider is made. Then: it’s onwards to the breathtaking Peak District, where the rest of the evening will be yours to enjoy as you please.
Day 4: Peak District – Chatsworth House – Peak District
This morning we’ll stretch our legs on a stroll at Chatsworth House, a grand stately home that is said to have inspired Jane Austen with its impressive architecture. (In fact, Chatsworth featured in Pride and Prejudice as Pemberley, the home of none other than Mr Darcy.) Then: we’ll take in splendour of an entirely different kind at Blue John Cavern, a world-famous series of caves.
Day 5: Peak District – Lincoln
Today we’ll bid farewell to the picturesque Peak District as we journey onwards to the historic town of Lincoln – but before we get there, we’ve two stops to make. First we’ll visit Eyam, where we’ll learn the tragic story of the villagers who fell victim to the plague in the 1600s. Then: we’ll raise a glass (or two) on a tour of a local brewery.
Day 6: Lincoln
This morning will see us touring the spectacular Lincoln Cathedral – one of the best examples of medieval architecture in England – as well as the Castle, which houses an original 1215 Magna Carta. After that, the afternoon will be yours to seek out restaurants, pubs and boutique shops – or to continue your discovery of the city’s rich history.
Day 7: Lincoln – Sandringham Estate – Cambridge
Today we’ve a date with royalty: Sandringham House is our next stop. The private residence of Her Majesty The Queen, Sandringham is a magnificent stately home with picturesque gardens – and even a museum! After our tour, we’ll move on to Cambridge: an iconic city filled with history and tradition.
Day 8: Cambridge
After taking to the water for a punting experience along the ‘Backs’ of Cambridge University, the day will be yours to spend spotting world-famous buildings such as The Wren Library and the Bridge of Sighs. Step inside colleges and chapels, museums and galleries – or simply indulge in a little retail therapy. This evening, we’ll look back on our journey as we enjoy one last group dinner.
Day 9: Cambridge – Newmarket – Lavenham – London
There’s time for one more behind-thescenes tour today: prepare to delve into England’s sporting heritage at Newmarket National Stud. At this working thoroughbred stud farm we may see stallions in the paddocks – and occasionally, foals in the nursery. After that, we’ll stop off in the medieval wool town of Lavenham before hitting the road to London – where we’ll say goodbye.
B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner
- Enjoy a brewery visit and ale tasting session in the magnificent Peak District
- Call in at Sandringham Estate, the private retreat of Her Majesty The Queen
- Experience a behind-the-scenes tour at Newmarket National Stud
- 8 nights in boutique accommodation
- Experienced Back-Roads Tour Leader and Driver
- Premium mini-coach transportation
- Daily full English breakfasts (B), 4 dinners (D)
- Tour and cider tasting at the Ampleforth Cider Mill
- Tour and ale tasting at a brewery in the Peak District
- Punting on the River Cam
- Entrance included to all attractions in the itinerary, including: Alnwick Castle and Gardens, Durham Cathedral, the Captain Cook Museum, Chatsworth House, Blue John Cavern, Lincoln Cathedral, Lincoln Castle, the Sandringham Estate and Newmarket National Stud
- Accommodation, itinerary and inclusions subject to change.
- Prices are for land/cruise and internal flights as specified only. Flights not specified are not included.
- The Gonville Hotel (or similar)
- Petwood Hotel (or similar)
- Mallory Court Hotel and Spa (or similar)
- The Winchester Hotel & Spa (or similar)
- Florence House Hotel (or similar)